“Life is tough enough without having somebody kick you from inside” – this is how Pregnancy brings in completion to the womanhood. It brings on lots of nerves and lots of “big conversations” with your partner, like “How are we going to afford everything this baby needs? “What type of parents do we want to be?” “What values are we going to instill in our child?” “What religion will the kiddo be raised with?” “Will I go back to work after baby?”a woman think when she is about to enter this beautiful phase of life.
Pregnancy marks the beginning of new life and a lot of speculations and planning is involved in honouring a new life home. A healthy and blissful pregnancy needs stress free environment, family support and good health.
The day a woman feels the first moment inside the foetus the entire flock starts consulting gynaecologist, physiologist, physiotherapists, yoga experts, stress management experts and if there is some scope consults Diet experts.
We live in the most comprehensive information era of all times, still it is painful that most of the women start with the pregnancy with low nutritional reserves resulting in complications during pregnancy or in the postpartum period? Worldwide figures say that 1 in every 3 pregnancies ends in loss. According to the World Health Organization, 4.5 million stillbirths occur each year worldwide. There are a lot of contributing factors for neonatal and infant mortality which includes unhygienic living conditions, maternal complications during pregnancy, infectious diseases and most importantly MALNUTRITION.
A healthy mother would have a healthy baby and healthy bay would have healthy future. If nutrition is not taken care of properly at each stage of pre and post pregnancy, a baby’s organs won’t grow and develop properly, leaving them predisposed to long-term illness. Supplying your own body with a tasty blend of nutritious foods can not only improve your fertility, keep you feeling healthy during pregnancy, and pave the way for an easier labor, but it can also help to establish essential building blocks of growth and overall health for your child.
“Nutritious, well-balanced eating plan is definitely one of the greatest gifts you give to your soon-to-be-born baby and paves way to a healthy life as an adult”.
On 15th October 2013, World Pregnancy and infant loss remembrance day, I would share some easy to follow dietary guidelines for healthy and safe pregnancy………..
- If you have started gaining weight with start of your pregnancy…Congratulations! it’s a proof that your body is nurturing the growing baby. The pregnancy is divided into three trimesters with respect to growth and development of foetus; hence the nutritional requirements also differ in the three trimesters. First trimester is the phase of hormonal and physiological changes, so qualitative improvement has to be done in the diet in terms of adding more of fruits and fibre along with good quality proteins in the diet.
- Are your friends and relatives saying that now you have to eat for two, then Caution! Do not eat for two. It’s true that nutrient requirement increases during pregnancy but energy requirement increase to additional 300Kcal per day during the second and third trimester only depending on the pre-conceived weight of the would be mother.
- If you are overweight or have started the pregnancy with an excess weight, then your calorie requirement would differ as the additional fat reserves could be utilised in the body for the growth of the body. Excessive weight and fat gain during the pregnancy could also result in difficult labour.
- On the other hand, mothers who consciously avoid putting on weight place their babies at risk for complications like premature birth resulting in lung or respiratory problems.
- Have you heard woman craving for eating chalk during pregnancy. Some relate it to deficiency of Calcium in the body. Absolutely not! The cravings should not be the sole indicator of nutritional requirements.
- Your decision and guidance by Nutrition expert to incorporate delicious vegetables, whole grains and legumes, lean protein, and other wise food choices into your eating plan before and during pregnancy is vital for a healthy growth of foetus.
All of the above a little sprinkle of giggle sautéed in love and garnished with care is all that what baby is asking for to turn into a healthy infant be a part of our beautiful world.
Director- Diet Mantra